The Amphitheater in Pula
is the largest and most preserved monument of ancient architecture in Croatia. Each year it attracts thousands of visitors, and is often the venue for numerous cultural events and concerts. Manu Chao, Leonard Cohen, Tom Jones, Solomon Burke, Joss Stone are just some of the names they have been hosting. The film festival that is held every year at the Arena is the highlight of the summer movie season, the truth is no longer as grand as it used to be, but in recent years it has been catching up on the glorious days. The amphitheater is at the top of our scale, and if you visit it during your stay in Pula, you will find out why.
The Forum of Pula
is the central city square since the founding of the Roman colony of Pole. Its present appearance has been quite altered, and only the Temple of Augustus is a testimony to the old past of the square. The Temple of Augustus is somewhat reminiscent of an ancient Greek temple, and at the same time, by many, the most beautiful building in Pula. Sit in one of the cafes at the Forum and spend time in the beautiful view of the temple. For fans of football one fact: The Forum was a few years ago produced a commercial that revolved before the start of the transfer for the soccer 'Champions League'. In the main roles of two great football players Romario and Gianfranco Zola.
The Archaeological Museum of Istria
is a special museum founded in 1902 in Pula, covering an area of 3600 m². The museum contains three collections: prehistoric, antique, late antique and medieval. If you love history and want to know more about Istria and Pula, this is the place to be sure to visit.
Set in a memorial to the three brothers of the Sergijavac family, especially Lucija Sergija Lepida, a tribune that served in the Roman Legion, which participated in the Battle of Action, and it is assumed that the globe was built between 29 and 27 years old. Cr. The archbishop attracted the attention of many artists, including Michelangelo, who pervaded him with a drawing. This is one of the most photographed motifs of Pula, and it is certainly worth visiting or drinking beer in the company of James Joyce, whose monument is in the pub overlooking the Golden Gate.
From the upper circular road, a climb leads to the top of the hill, where in 1630 a quarry of fortified trellis was built and with a prominent corner of the bushed bastions. It was built according to plans by French military architect Antoine De Ville at the order of the Venetian government for the protection of the city and port, given its great importance in maritime traffic in the northern Adriatic. At the top of the hill and earlier it had to have a fortress, probably with continuity from the pre-Roman and Roman times. The Histarchic fortress had primarily a defensive function, and even in Roman times there had to be a smaller military station. Kaštela is today the Historical Museum of Istria.
Aquarium Pula is located in the Austro-Hungarian "Verudela" fortress on the peninsula of the same name, 3km away from the center of Pula. Approximately 2000m², in the 60s of the basin, on the ground floor, the floor and the wreath of the fort are the seaside of the northern Adriatic, Mediterranean and tropical And freshwater fish from tropical and European rivers and lakes.The only temporary inhabitants of the aquarium are sea turtles, recovering in the "Sea Turtle Recovery Center".
Church and monastery of Sv. Francis
On the slope of the hill between the Forum and the Upper Circular Street, there is a monastery complex dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, which was founded in the 14th century. Century at the place where it had previously existed a cult place. The Franciscan Community is mentioned in Pula already in the 13th century. century. The church was built in 1314 in late-Romanesque style with gothic decorative details, as a strict and simple structure of the preaching Franciscan order. The fine stone quarry processing from which the walls were built leads to a conclusion about the mastery of the masters who participated in the construction.
Temple at the Forum devoted to goddess Roma and Emperor Augustus. Built between 2 years before Christ and 14, when August passed away. The form is a typical temple structure. The function of the temple changed: at the end of the pagan antiquity the basic function of the temple ceased, and it was used as a church, then a grain warehouse, to place a museum of stone monuments at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1944, he was hit by a bomb and almost completely destroyed; The reconstruction was carried out from 1945 to 1947, and today there is a smaller exhibition of antique stone and bronze sculptures.
A Small Roman Theater
In the northeastern slope of the hill below Kaštela there are remains of the Roman theater: Pula had next to the Amphitheater, and two other theaters outside the city, south of the Zaro hill (Monte Zaro), where no significant remains were visible. Second, the so-called. A lesser Roman theater within the ramparts. It has preserved the remains of the foundations of the stage building and parts of the auditorium that have been partially reconstructed. Below the theater is the building of the former German gymnasium where, since 1930, the Archeological Museum of Istria is housed with a rich fundraiser of prehistoric, antique and early medieval archaeological monuments from all over Istria.
ZEROSTRASE Tunnel system
The escape from a strong sunny sun is best to look for in the tunnels Zero Strasse - the exhibition space located in tunnels below the city. Since the temperature outside is 30 degrees, and in tunnels about 14, it is quite comfortable and even chilly in light summer clothes. The tunnel complex began to build Austria to protect its harbor port. The underground tunnel network is 40 kilometers long. The tunnels were used as shelter for the population in World War II and could be accommodated by 60,000 people.
The illuminative giants
Is the name of the project for the first time in the world lighting the cranes of the shipyard that it operates. World-renowned lighting designer Dean Skira, with the help of sponsors and workers of the Uljanik shipyard, illuminated the cranes of this shipyard, which are the recognizable symbol of Pula. The "Giant Giants" have a sophisticated remote control system and scenery, and can be illuminated with 16,000 combinations of different colors. In the beautiful spectacle, the Puljani and their guests can enjoy each evening. A painted spectacle lasting fifteen minutes can be seen when darkness falls on every hour! Special commemorative dates and programs are specially programmed and illuminated by a different regime.
The Hercules doors
Between the two round, probably medieval towers, there are architecturally modest doors built of unprofilated stone blocks, and at the top of the arch and damaged, though barely recognizable, the head of Hercules and its tollaca is carved. The inscription is also damaged by the tollage, which has a historic significance because it mentions the names of two Roman clerics - the Gaius Cassius Longinus and Lucius Calpurnius Piso: the Roman Senate sent them to the Gulf of Pula to formulate and build a colony at the head of colonists. This took place between 47 and 44 BC. ., And then Pula emerged as a town with urban features. As the Upper City Circuit drifted through this door, its hardening position caused the sloping door to be positioned in relation to the direction of the rampart.
The double door
The double doors were built on the ruins of the old city gates, and they led to a small Roman theater. They have two arched passages and three halftones decorated with composite capitals, whose ornaments indicate the date at the end of I. The relief wreath connects the entire assembly to the harmonic whole. In the arches there are slots to lower the gratings where the door is closed. A signboard with the name of Lucija Menacija Priska, a city councilor and senator, was built at the door, which built one of the city's waterworks at a cost of 40,000 sesterages. The board was found in front of the Twin Door.